North Carolina Virtual Public School
North Carolina Virtual Public School (NCVPS) is North Carolina’s state supplemental program and leader in online education, providing inclusive learning opportunities for students across the state. Founded in 2007, with a strong commitment to ensuring quality education for all students, regardless of location, NCVPS has over 16 years of experience serving diverse learners.
NCVPS offers over 135 courses as a supplement to the local middle and high school course catalog. We have six programs: Standard, Occupational Course of Study, Co-teaching, English Language Learners, and Middle School courses.The array of courses include 16 Advanced Placement options, 18 World Languages (including unique offerings like Mandarin, Russian, Arabic, and German), and 13 Career and Technical Education pathways. Certified North Carolina instructors teach all NCVPS courses and provide strategies for active student engagement through a variety of technology tools. Teachers are required to make personal contact with students and parents regularly to maximize the student-teacher relationship. Courses are free to students who enroll through their local North Carolina school. NCVPS is available to homeschool and private school students for a small fee.
As one of the largest state-led virtual schools in the U.S., NCVPS prioritizes quality education and proudly holds the record for the highest number of Quality Matters certified courses among K-12 institutions, earning the esteemed QM, Making a Difference for Students Award in 2022.
Throughout the 2022-2023 academic year, NCVPS served 1,067 schools, collaborating with 115 districts, 117 charter schools, and 240 non-public schools. Averaging approximately 110,000 enrollments per year, NCVPS is North Carolina’s partner in empowering students, providing a diverse range of courses, and offering exceptional online education.
Current Opportunities Beyond the Classroom:
- Culture Café Speaker Series: Faculty-led lectures in multiple languages to broaden cultural horizons.
- IworkNCVPS Speaker Series: Explore careers with industry leaders, covering prerequisites, job acquisition, responsibilities, and industry trends.
- Parent Resources including live open houses, the NCVPS app, a demo course, and our self-paced parent/guardian student support course.
- Digital Transitions PD for Educators: NCVPS launched educator support during the pandemic, including courses, webinars, and tutoring.
- Free Self-Paced Professional Development courses for educators that include CEU credit.
- EdVantage Tutoring Program: Statewide virtual support for Math, Science, and ELA in high-needs schools.
- Peer Tutoring Center (PTC): Virtual tutoring, mentoring, tech support, and resources.
New for Fall 2023:
NCVPS is piloting its synchronous instruction program, NCVPS In-Real-Time (IRT), in Fall 2023. The pilot is targeted to middle school students and will begin with 8th grade math, science, social studies, and English courses.
NCVPS’s vision centers around the commitment to Challenging Minds, Providing Opportunities, and Expanding Equitable Access. NCVPS prioritizes the holistic well-being of students and provides rigorous coursework led by exceptionally qualified educators, fostering an environment where each student is encouraged to reach their fullest potential, regardless of their background or geographical location.